Wednesday 3 March 2010

Sandefjord

This coastal town is just a short distance from Torp airport. It is one station further on the line and only a five minute ride back to the little platform that serves the airport with a free bus service.

I have all day to spend here with a mid-day check out from the hotel room. After the revitalizing breakfast I took off to walk and hoping to find a circular bus route that would show me something of the town and coastline.
Managed to find my way to the bus station and asked the first bus driver  if I could take a circular ride. He said his route was about 1/2 hr and went out to a residential area and returned. That suited me fine. It first went to the sea front where I could see just how far the frozen sea has reached. At the outer part of the harbour were moored two cruising ferries probably belonging to the line that I had been on in Tromso.


Then out to what is probably a low cost housing area with rows of garage blocks. Some had been carefully dug out whilst others were well and truly snowed in. I cannot imagine what happens to the water at melt down time.

 I kept a careful eye on bus stops and identified one that I could get out at on the return in the knowledge I knew the way to walk back to the hotel. I wanted to see something more and at close hand the iced in boating marina.

So 20 mins later I rang the bell and alighted at a roundabout that had caught my eye during the outgoing journey. It had a centre piece which looked in bronze of a whaling boat with crew and the spear throwing pilot. It sat on the tail fin of a huge whale.

(pity about the fence!)
No matter how abhorrent you feel about this trade it is impossible not to admire the fortitude and bravery of the men who went out in the icy seas to do battle with this magnificent mammal. It was an impressive monument to the men. I am sure whaling is still a tough business but nothing compared to those days.
Another spectacular monument displayed the a rib of a whale.

I then picked my way thro a large park area with high snow ridged paths which were criss-crossed thro for the foot traffic and dog walkers. I found a small seating area with another statute looking out to sea. You could sit on the park bench and admire the view if you were willing to dig it out!

I was greeted by amused smiles by folk and I get the feeling they do not get too many tourists here. That is a shame because folk flying into Torp could enjoy what this small town has to offer and contrast it with the busy city of Oslo.

All the time I kept my marker of the church steeple as my guiding point back to the hotel . Back at 11:45 and just in time to finish my packing and check out. They have kindly offered me the facility of the lounge until 18:15 when I have booked my taxi. Free coffee and internet access is also available so what more can I want? Later I will go out and stroll to the nearest Pizza Parlour and pass the time having lunch.

My muscles are beginning to ache and the odd back twinges are becoming more than that after my struggle with luggage yesterday. I have found this trip pretty physically challenging, even more that Africa. But then I was a few years younger and had a willing helper to carry my baggage when I struggled. This time I have had to be more alert at all tmes and think ahead for my next journey or stopping point.. Having said that I would not have missed a single minute of this adventure, it has been extraordinary for many reasons. The weather, the kind people, the stunning scenery, the great contrasts and of course above all the joy I had watching the Aurora , not just once but three nights in a row. All from different locations and contrasting scenery. I have given some thought about what I could have dropped from this trip and in all honesty the answer is NOTHING. However, without a doubt the evening with Gunnar was the highlight .. a maestro of Theatre in all senses and I would probably have said the same even if the lights had not performed for us that night. But they did .. and that is what made it all so perfect.

I look back on that day almost 1 year ago when we were driving to St Andrews for lunch and saw a vintage car go by with the registration SMW 70 and felt then that it was a message that someone was looking after me. The waiter called it spooky.. and all were amazed at seeing St Adrews in sunshine on April 2nd with golfers in short sleeves, sitting on the terrace at 9 holes and being told that if they could not get a good score today then they never would! Then the early morning drive to Gleneagles with a slight morning mist and the deer on the edge of the golf course. Could anyone have been more pampered that day?! Right down to the morning send off by the children to the evening birthday carrot  cake .. not to mention the Joan Collins swimsuit!!

For those reading this Blog to gain travel information.. I must ask your indulgence for the personal items. This really is my diary of a special year, the generous gift from family and friends and a record for me to savour when traveling no longer becomes an option. More than 30 years ago I wrote a travel diary for my father´s 70th birthday adventure to America. We took Mum and Dad on a months tour of the States and I well remember the many evenings I watched him pull that book from the shelf and read a chapter, recall the day and read the menus. I also re-read that book  frequently and now I can put together one of my own. This time it will not be using the first colour dot matrix printer but in spendid glory of the digital and cyberspace  age!

Sylvia March 3rd 2010
Sandefjord