Wednesday 24 February 2010

Journey Start

Well I was about to say that the journey started at 5am at Alicante airport but in fact that is not strictly true.

It started one evening in Wales watching Joanna Lumley on the television fulfill her childhood dream to see the Northern Lights. At that time I was confident that Casa Mirande had been sold and I would have some money to spare for travelling.  I put the Northern Light experience at the top of my list but sadly the sale never materialised and my dream was put on the back burner.
If you missed the program watch a little here



Then came my 70th birthday and Sandy sent me the information  to select my trip from a list of options as a special birthday present. Many events conspired that it did not prove possible during my 70th year and planning went ahead for February 2010.  Suggesed cruise options were dismissed for many reasons which included high single supplements, and I spent many happy hours researching information on the Internet.

February was the selected month because the days were getting lighter and it would give some opportunity for day time sight-seeing.  The next important criteria was to select a guide who would be able to give me the best opportunity of success.  The one name that constantly came to the fore was Guide Gunnar.  So off went the initial EMail and his friendly response clinched the deal for February 28th 2010

Birthday donations were pooled to cover all the costs of flights, excursions, hotels etc and many family members and friends were generous. A round trip from Alicante - Oslo - Lillehammer - Tromso - Edinburgh - Alicante was booked and gradually all bookings were made, changed, and researched giving me many happy hours of aticipation. 

So here I am now sitting in my bed-sitter in Tromso waiting to be picked up by Gunnar for my night of chasing the Aurora.

I am  getting ahead of myself because since leavng Alicante there have been many wonderful experiences to write about. So my Diary will start with Day 1.