Wednesday 24 February 2010

Day 1 - Alicante to Oslo

Well my alarm was set for 02:45 but I was awake and up before it and spent sometime checking weather forecasts for Oslo before leaving my warm bed. Somehow time drifted and I was later leaving Casa M than I had planned but was on the motorway at 03:50. Could not make up for the late start because of high winds. Even in my small car I was frequenly taken by a gust. However little traffic on the road so that helped, I arrived at Claus airport parking to find another car parked with headlights on and gates firmly locked.  Five Spanish lads who were also en route for Oslo to compete in ice skating. They were pretty agitated as not getting any response to open the gates. They were relieved when I pulled out my mobile with the office number in my contacts. I obviously stirred the night watchman from his slumbers and the guard dogs as well. It took another 5 mins for him to appear wth 4 chasing and threatening looking hounds, A mix of Dobermans and Alsatians who chased us to the office. The night watchman (Asian extraction) explained in broken English/Spanish that both mini buses were out of action. With 5 occupants in the other car plus me it became a complicated affairs that dragged on to the degree that six travellers were were getting agitated over check-in times. The Spanish were sent off in their car to the airport to drop off 3 excess passengers and return back to the parking place. I spent the waiting time changing from my driving shoes into my snow boots. A diffcult task normally but the ´vicious´ dogs thought it a great game and were just big softies who wanted to play and get some attention. Whilst one ran off with a shoe the others vied for some attention from me or played with the laces. Under less stressful circumstances it would have been fun and they were great dogs. Then the watchman took us in his car back to the airport. It was nearly 6am before we arrived at check-in and somewhat wound up. Surprisingly the flight was very busy with a mix of Nationalities. Many Norwegians returning from a holiday break in sunny Spain, some Spanish going for a winter ski break and a rotund old lady looking like the Michelin man. The check-in guy noted my 13k luggage and then my hand luggage so decided to get me to put that on the scales as well. Raised his eyebrows and smiled when the combined bags weighed in at 22k. One of the few passengers that morning not sent off to the cash desk for excess payment. Stripping off and decanting computer at security was fun and I was more than happy that they did not make me take off my boots. At Alicante I have the boarding queue worked out. No need to join the rush, just look for the dis-abled lift.. this bypasses the stairs and takes you to the front of the queue at the bottom. The other punters who have rushed thro the desk are still queuing on the stairs. So I was one of the first on baord and soon sitting comfortably in a window seat ready to catch up on sleep.

Ontime take off and it seemed no time at all before we were loosing height over a frozen sea and approaching Oslo. For me no on board drinks or eats.. Ryanair.. not a penny more! We landed 35 mins early which prompted me to check if there was a earlier train to Oslo centre. I had opted to take the train rather then Ryannair bus because it took me directly to the station where I could connect for my next trip toLillehammer. My plan was to use the statiion luggage lockers to store my travel baggage so that I could enjuoy the afternoon/evening without it. First I needed to convert my EMail train confirmation into a ticket and asked the shuttle bus driver how to do it and if there was an earlier train. He went off in one direction with my paperwork whilst another carried my luggage to the shuttle. It seems if I hurried I could catch the train 1 hr earlier than planned giving me the opportuity to check in at the hotel and return to the station for my next journey. They were super and both refused a tip.. but later I died with embarrassment when I calculated I was only offering them 10p instead of what I thought was a pound! The snow was piled high roadside and I watched in admiration as the returnig Norwegians started to dig out their cars left at the airport. The station! ah well if I had any thoughts of a nice comfie waiting room and a hot coffee then I was mistaken. It was not more than a glazed bus shelter beside a railway crossing. Only a name board gave any indication that it was a station.. The bus driver told me to SIT and he kept the vehicle warm and running until the crossing lights indicated a train was approaching. Then he carried my bag to the train, handed me into the care of the guard . All speaking just perfect English and so kind. I found my fellow travellers on this part were a Norwegian girl with a Liverpool husband. They were returing from a trip to Alicante and back to cold Norway. He explained that this winter has been particularly harsh and the forzen sea had nearly extended to Denmark, So all those flotillas of ice I had been admiring from the air in fact were proving quite a hazard. My Liverpool lad admitted to a dream of retiring one day to Spain as he was fed up with coping with the long harsh winters. He told me that he and his wife had been discussing me and trying to work out my nationality. They had noted the well prepared warm clothing and said I was the first Brit tourist they had encountered with suitable and sensible footwear! Well done Sandy! they were interesting to talk to but left the train well short of Oslo. As usual Ryanair airport is way out of the city centre.. in fact a train journey of 2 hrs. I arrived with 1 hr 49 mins before my next connection and the knowledge that my hotel was 5 mins walk from the station. A 5 min walk that cost me 11 pounds in taxi fare! each way! ..later I was able to compare that to the 4 pounds it would have cost to rent the luggage locker. However, it gave me the opportuity to settle into the hotel a lttle, add another wind proof layer of trousers, get a hot drink, eat my sandwiches and set off again. I returned to the station in plenty of time.

Now to Visit Hunderfossen near Lillehammer